Blast from the past review...
What they say: Down in Atlanta, tempers – and temperatures – are about to flare… As a mercenary who cleans up after magic gone wrong, Kate Daniels has seen her share of occupational hazards. Normally, waves of paranormal energy ebb and flow across Atlanta like a tide. But once every seven years, a flare comes, a time when magic runs rampant. Now Kate’s going to have to deal with problems on a much bigger scale: a divine one.
When Kate sets out to retrieve a set of stolen maps for the Pack, Atlanta’s paramilitary clan of shapeshifters, she quickly realizes much more at stake. During a flare, gods and goddesses can manifest – and battle for power. The stolen maps are only the opening gambit in an epic tug-of-war between two gods hoping for rebirth. And if Kate can’t stop the cataclysmic showdown, the city may not survive...
What I say: Ooh Kate's back and as per she's packing quite a punch! Magic Burns starts several weeks after the end of Magic Bites and Kate's getting on with her job as a Merc. She hasn't seen (i.e. she's been avoiding) a certain Beast Lord since he fixed her roof. Cue unfortunate event which requires her attention and she's dragged back into the shapechanger world and her glorious banter with Curran. I love reading the scenes with both Kate and Curran in because their banter is brill and they really spark off each other/drive each other mental.
The mysterious Bran has stolen maps from the Pack, and the shapechangers need Kate's help retrieving them. Bran's a really funny character and he's the king of innuendo. Another good thing about Bran's introduction is Curran's jealously when Bran's around Kate - let's just say Hello Alpha! He even tricks Kate into letting him feed her.
Kate inherits Julie as a teenage ward, becoming a surrogate Aunt/guardian figure to her. It's a sweet relationship and gives Kate somebody to fight for. We also see more of the Pack, in particular the hyena's and the perverted sexy Raphael. Andrea is Kate's only real friend and she becomes an important figure in the series. Aunt B (the hyena alpha) is a hilarious cross between matriarch and kinky older sister.
I won't go any further into the slightly insane plot (there's a giant turtle, water monsters, witches, a Goddess and a crazy battle), but it's a great edition in an awesome series!
5 shiny Stars in my Sky
My fav non-spoilery quotes:
- “Not only will you sleep with me, but you will say 'please.'" I stared at him, shocked. The smile widened. "You will say 'please' before and 'thank you' after." Nervous laughter bubbled up. "You've gone insane. All that peroxide in your hair finally did your brain in, Goldilocks.”
- “I'm secure enough in myself to wear panties with bows on them. Besides, they are comfy and soft." "I bet." He almost purred. I gulped.
- “You know what I like about you? You have no sense. You sit here in my house, you can barely hold a spoon, and you're telling me 'no'. You'd pull on Death's whiskers if you could reach them.”
- He whirled in the water and grinned at me. Damn, he was a handsome bastard. I realized he was half-naked. Blue swirls of tattoos painted his chest. When God made that chest, he did to tempt women.
- He stepped forward, took a deep breath, and doubled over in a sneezing fit. My werewolf was allergic to tortoises. Why me?