Blast from the past reviews...
What they say: Kate Daniels keeps the peace in Atlanta for the Order, humans caught between the vampire controlling People led by her biological father and best kept secret, Roland, and the shape-shifter Pack, led by her mate-to-be Curran, the Lord of the Beasts.
But her look-alike aunt Erra, Babylon's god of chaos and terror, has come to town controlling seven naked warriors: Deluge (flood water), Tremor (earth quake), Gale (hurricane wind), Torch (fire inferno), Venom (disease poison), Beast (animal monster), and Darkness (overpowering dread).
What I say: Even after several reads I still find myself torn between loving this book and being incredibly frustrated with it at the same time. I LOVED that we finally got the dinner scene (well sort of). The way it happens is actually better than I'd imagined and Kate's reaction was one of my fav in the series so far.
Kate is uber pissed after the dinner that didn't happen and refuses to talk to Curran; she thinks he stood her up and he doesn't understand why she ran away. This leads to a more hostile addition to their usual banter. Ilona does a great job of making the reader laugh along at their frustrations whilst wanting to slap some sense into them both.
Kate's attempt to play by shifter rules was brilliant and Curran's retaliation hilarious. Who knew that Catnip, glue and weight benches could be so much fun!
Now on to the actual plot: Kate and the shifters are attacked by Roland's crazy sister Erra (Kate's Aunt) who is determined to destroy the Pack. As far as baddies go Erra was a hoot. She is like an evil version of Kate, with the addition of being able to control cartoon like mages, one of whom can make shifters go wild (loup).
Curran is injured and there's a real possibility of him going loup. The scenes where Kate stays with him were so sweet and really showed what a good match they are.
As for the other characters: Oh Saimon, Saimon, Saimon, you idiot! In what universe was that ever a good plan? Kate adopts Grendel the attack poodle, who likes to eat everything in sight and be sick on her floor. The wolves, Jennifer in particular had a much bigger role in Magic Bleeds, resulting in some really sad scenes.
4 Stars in my Sky!
My fav non-spoilery quotes:
- I gave him my hard stare. “You're a control freak and I fight all authority. And you want us to mate?” A wicked spark lit his eyes. “Many, many times.”
- The mage pulled my knife out of his side and looked at it. “Nice knife.” The voice was deep but female. I threw my second knife. The blade bit into the mage’s chest. Shit. Missed the neck. “Here, have another one.”
- “Who is that?” “Your replacement.” “You replaced me with a shaved poodle?” “He's got mad skills.”
- Hi, Your Majesty, we drugged your love muffin and then let her walk out into the dark, in the snow. Her apartment is destroyed and we're not sure where she is...
- “Just wait until he figures out I shut him out of his slut hut.”